Star Wars: Brothers in Arms
The Grand Army of the Republic
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), also known as the Clone Army or Republic Army, was the main part of the armed forces of the Galactic Republic in its final years, becoming one of the largest armies ever assembled, although not as large as the Separatist Droid Army. After the Clone Wars, it served as the nucleus for the armed forces of the Galactic Empire.
It was created by the Kaminoan cloners on Kamino. It comprised two hundred thousand growth-accelerated clone trooper units and their war machines at the start of the Clone Wars.
After the initial engagements, over a million more clone units were added to the ranks of the army, followed by numerous additional divisions. The Republic spent much of its waning wealth on grand armies and fleets, making it one of the largest militaries ever assembled by the end of the war.
Command structure of regular forces
- Grand Army—10 systems armies, a total of 3,000,000 units, with Supreme Chancellor Palpatine as commander-in-chief.
- Systems Army—2 Sector Armies (294,912 troops) led by a High Jedi General.
- Sector Army—4 corps (147,456 troops) led by a Senior Jedi General.
- Corps—4 legions (36,864 troops) led by a clone marshal commander and a Jedi General.
- Legion/Brigade—4 regiments (9,216 troops) led by a senior clone commander and a Jedi General.
- Regiment—4 battalions (2,304 troops) led by a clone trooper commander, clone regimental commander, and a Jedi Commander.
- Battalion—4 companies (576 troops) led by a major.
- Company—4 platoons (144 troops) led by a captain.
- Platoon—4 squads (36 troops) led by a lieutenant.
- Squad—9 soldiers led by a sergeant.